Thursday, June 4, 2015

Long Overdue Hobby Progress Update!!!

Last time I posted was quite a while ago. College and life in general got in the way. I did not stop painting or modeling however! In that time I painted up my roommate's custom Shrike model, his "Shrikes Wing" Vanguard Assault Squad, all custom built, and the rest of his army was painted. I was given until the end of May to complete it, and got it done a week ahead of schedule by request. I do not have the models with me, or pictures of them as of yet, but once I do have them I will be sure to post them!

For my own armies I ended up adding a few things to them. I bought a second Dreadnought Drop Pod, weapons for my new Contemptor Dreadnoughts which were traded from my roommates army, and a Deathwing Terminator box from the new-ish kit. I also received all the bitz left over from my roommates army. Whatever he didn't use I got. With all the bitz I got from the trade I dug through all of those bitz and my own. I was able to make some really nice units! In total I was able to make the following:

- Company Veteran Squad
10 man, Sergeant w/ Power Fist, Multi-Melta, and 2 Melta Guns

- Company Veteran Squad
10 man, Sergeant w/ Power Sword & Melta Bombs, Plasma Cannon, Plasma gun, and Flamer

- Interrogator-Chaplain x 2
Jump Pack optional

- Librarian x 2
Force Claw, Jump Pack optional

- Librarian
Force Sword, Jump Pack optional

- Deathwing Command Squad
Standard, Apothecary, Thunder Hammer & Storm Shield

Also in the final trade with my roommate for painting his army I got his Terminators.

5 Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield Terminators. I just added a Cyclone Missile Launcher to them to have them fit my Deathwing better.

6 Regular Terminators: 1 Sergeant w/ Power Sword, 1 w/ Assault Cannon, and 1 w/ Cyclone Missile Launcher.

With all of this my armies have grown. I now have a full 120+ Terminators in my Deathwing army alone! Plus the growth of my Angels of Vengeance I am having to find new transport options. If I were to field my whole Angels of Vengeance army it could be on Apocalypse scale, but I'd want to throw a titan in for kicks.

For the Company Veteran Squads above I needed some bases for them. I ended up ordering some bases from Secret Weapon Miniatures, and they were 32mm. I was on the fence about them at first, yet as I started to model with them it did make the marines I was putting on them stand out a lot more. I really like that Space Marines are moving to the 32mm base size. I am unsure of how this effects them game wise, but I like the aesthetic it gives them.

I also got some custom bases for the Deathwing Command Squad and, they make them really stand out! I really like it and cannot wait to have time to paint them.

On that note as I type this my 2 Dreadnought Drop Pods, Company Veteran Squads from above, and the Chaplains and Librarians from above are currently drying from their prime. I found out that Vallejo makes an air brush primer and I love it! The only downside is that it is really expensive, but living in an apartment this is better.

With only a year left in school I have decided to focus on that and to stop working. This will, hopefully, give me a lot more free time to be able to focus on my armies. My hope is that by the end of the year to have transport options for all of them. Also to have as much painted as possible. So with that I have given myself the challenge that every week I will have a new squad painted. Having so much to paint is putting a damper on my ability to game. I also really like seeing a fully painted army on the tabletop.

My goal is that by the end of the year to have 30 units/vehicles painted. Only 10 of them will make a fully painted Deathwing. I will not paint Independent Characters over a week, I will paint multiples of them so the process gets sped up a bit.

Since I am in the middle of painting right now I will get back to it. I will post more when I have pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment