Tuesday, June 16, 2015

Dreadnought Drop Pods

This has been an project that I have been wanting to finish for awhile now. I had put it off because of the simplicity that is needed to paint these models. Putting them together is far more difficult. Yet one I bought from Forge World proper, the other I got off of eBay hoping that it was a better deal.

It wasn't. I had to do a lot of green stuff work just to get it to work. It was a knock off, and I should had known better, but I didn't. It is maybe 1 - 2mm off in scale at most. So since it looks a little... off... it has been dubbed "The Short Bus". At least I can tell which pod is with on the board just by looking.

To paint them is easy, well for my army. Prime them black, sponge brush the inside and bottom of the main engine at the top with Boltgun Metal/Leadbelcher, paint the intake fans on top of the main engine with Boltgun Metal/Leadbelcher, and the Aquila paint gold. Sponge brush some other accents as desired, and done.

In total it took me about an hour to put together the Forge World Drop Pod. About 3 for 'The Short Bus'. Since the wash didn't work so well I needed to reprime the spots that didn't hold, so the prime took about 2 - 3 hours. Even with Vallejo Black Airbrush Primer it still took a bit to dry. Simply for it was such a large model.

To paint them as I described above only took 30 minutes total.

From this experience I learned a couple of lessons.

1. Always buy Forge World from Forge World. It is worth the extra cost.

2. Ensure that your models are clean. A 24 hour dip in full strength Simple Green and quick scrub might not get all the release agent off. So a double check on that point will save you pain later.

3. Don't get discouraged if things are not working as well as you would like. You are a hobbyist and can find a way around this with the supplies you have. If you want to put the effort into it.

So here are my Dreadnought Drop Pods in all their, finally, finished glory!



No comments:

Post a Comment