Friday, November 30, 2012

Chimera to Hydra

Alright so while I've been painting and priming things I have gotten to work on a few projects which I mentioned a couple of blog posts ago. Two of those I was happy to finally get started once the materials showed up from the post. The first being I now have my Belial model with a proper Thunder Hammer and Storm Shield magnetized and primed. The second is the Hydra Flak Tank Conversion!


Here are some pics of the progress I have so far of the first Hydra.




While it may not look at that great to start it's far cheaper than the Forge World conversion kit! So since I now am able to make this a reality for roughly $15 for the plastic tubing I didn't have, plastic card I already had, and a few bitz from my bitz box I'm very happy with the result. I just need some more magnets to be able to attach the twin-linked Autocannons to the turret and those should be in tomorrow.

The pictures above have been taken with my phone so the quality might not be that great. But if taking photos with my phone gets more images of my work up here than so be it!

All I did was cut out a stand out of plastic card that could go over the top of a normal Chimera and magnetized it in place in a couple of spots. Then I made the turret, glued it together, and added the smallest flying stem with the tip cut off glued to the center of the turrets interior. with that I added bitz to the outside of the turret and magnetized it to the stand by the flying stem. For the twin-linked Autocannons I used 3 1/2 in. of the smaller tubing, and 1.5 cm of the larger tubing and just glued them together for the barrels. The casing is just a 1 in. X 2/8 in. balsa wood. I proceeded to cut out strips at 3/8 in. with a razor saw. Taking two of them I glued them on a 28 mm base, added bitz and the barrels, and there you have it.

I'm sure once some paint gets on these it will be awesome. I'm hoping it doesn't rain, yet if it does that will just put off the priming for a little while since California isn't known for raining for long.

Also another simple project I was able to complete was getting my Angels of Vengeance army's six objective markers painted. All while being able to study and socialize. I'm sure the next couple of weeks will not be this forgiving.

No comments:

Post a Comment